Free Sewing Pattern – Easy Party DressJune 21, 2016 / byFree Designs Admin / Categories : Free Printables, Free Project, Free Sewing Patterns
Basic Skills Necessary:
- Box pleat
- Bias tape
The other day I needed to make an Easy Summer Party Dress in a hurry. A long-forgotten invitation at the bottom of my daughter’s school backpack and just a few hours of warning led me to realize that she had nothing appropriate to wear. I’m sure all those that have kids, especially teenagers, can relate to what was happening. Suddenly, overnight it seems that my daughter went from a little kid to a female taller than I am so I couldn’t even lend her something of mine to wear.
Panic-strickened and looking in my fabric stash, I spotted a print that looked fancy although if I recall, the price I had paid did not reflect that -I think I payed only something like $2 dollars a yard. I got some elastic and some lace and sat at my sewing table to plot. When I encounter this circumstances, (sadly this is not the first time as I am always procrastinating) I find the best thing is to drape the fabric on the mannequin and let the fabric speak to me. I know I didn’t have have much time, but still the dress needs to be elegant, perfect for the warm climate where we live and most of all, it needed to be easy to make.
So, if ever wanted to sew a dress in the morning and wear it that very night or, if like me, you need a last minute project to get your daughter something to wear, or if you just want to get your wardrobe into warm weather mood or need a gift for your grand daughter’s birthday, this project is for you. This tutorial will show you how to make a very easy party dress and the best part is you won’t have to spend more than $40 dollars making it. Gather your supplies from the list below and meet me at the table.
This project is for adventurous beginners and intermediate sewers. Knowledge of box pleat, shirring, zipper and bias tape skills needed.
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- Sizes 8 to 24.
- Finished measurements around bust 34″ to 43 3/4″.
- 2 yards of any woven fabric with good body, 100% cotton, cotton gingham, cotton eyelet.
- 1/2 yard of fabric lining (optional). I have used cotton and the print is so dark it does not need lining.
- 1/2? satin bias tape 2.5 to 3 yards.
- fusible interfacing 1/2 yard to 1 yard depending on the size you are making
- thread to match your bias tape
- 1 yard of elastic 1/4? wide for the skirt
- 3 1/2? wide lace (optional) or you can always add to the length of the skirt
- 1 1/2 yards of ribbon matching your bias tape and lace
- 2? wide elastic (black or white) (if you are not using a zipper for the skirt)
You Will Also Need:
- Sewing machine